Tag: Low sperm count
Low sperm count is putting a lot of men and marriages under emotional pressure due to the desire to have their own children.
In this part of the world, children are very important if not more then the marriage itself.
So as soon as people marry, friends, parents, even the couple themselves are looking forward to the wife becoming pregnant.
When this is not forthcoming, the couples become agitated. Most if the time, the accusing finger for delay in getting pregnant is pointed at the woman because it is generally assumed that all men are fertile.
This assumption has been disproved because a lot of men are now experiencing low sperm count.
According to World Health Organization, A normal sperm count ranges from 15 million sperm to more than 200 million sperm per milliliter (mL) of semen. Anything less than 15 million sperm per milliliter, or 39 million sperm per ejaculate, is often referred to as oligospermia.
Sperm count can only be determined by Semen Analysis in the Laboratory.
Apart from sperm count, other factors that can affect fertility of a man include sperm motility and morphology. But that’s discussion for another day.
This can be due to medical or environmental or lifestyle.
Medical causes include
- Ejaculation problems
- Antibodies that attack sperm.
- Undescended testicles.
- Hormone imbalances
- Defects of tubules that transport sperm.
- Chromosome defects.
- Certain medications.
- Prior surgeries.
Environmental causes include but not limited to
- Industrial chemicals.
- Heavy metal exposure.
- Radiation or X-rays.
- Overheating the testicles
Lifestyle causes include
- Drug use.
- Alcohol use.
- Tobacco smoking.
- Emotional stress.
Remedies For Low Sperm Count
Studies have demonstrated that some herbs, fruits and spices have the ability to increase sperm count in some men who have low sperm count.
There are natural ways of increasing sperm count such as reducing weight, stop smoking, exercising but one of the most effective natural way of increasing sperm count is to identify and eliminate the causes. Eliminating environmental causes may be easy but medical and health causes may require the need for a health practitioner.
Some remedies include
- Zinc. Low level of Zinc can cause infertility in men. this can be restored by taking Zinc tablets or eating food rich in zinc like nuts, legumes, vegetables.
- Tiger nut. Researchers have demonstrated that tiger nuts reproductive hormones, sperm motility, and sperm count. Men should be encouraged to add Tiger nut to their diet and take it as regular snacks.
- Cissus populnea. This herb has been used by herbalist to treat low sperm count, impotence in men. Popularly called Ogbolo in Yoruba. A study showed that a water extract caused increase in sperm production.
- Tribulus terrestris ( Puncture vine, caltrop, yellow vine, and goathead). A study confirmed that this plant improves sperm motility and viability due to its anti-oxidant properties.
Disclaimer: The medical information provided is for information resource only. This information does not create any patient-physician relationship and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.