Are there natural remedies for Stomach Ulcer?
Are there home remedies for stomach ulcer?
Yes, there are. And they can really be the cure you are looking for.
Before we go to the main discussion, let us first understand what stomach ulcer is all about.
What is Stomach Ulcer?
A stomach ulcer (Peptic Ulcer) is a wound in the stomach’s lining or the duodenum of the small intestine when the thick layer of the mucus protecting the stomach is reduced.
A gastric ulcer is an ulcer of the stomach, the duodenum is a duodenal ulcer, and of the esophageal ulcer.
Nearly all ulcers are caused by Helicobacter pylori infection or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use.
Stomach ulcers may be easily cured, but they can become severe without proper treatment.
How do I know I have Stomach Ulcer?
Symptoms depend on ulcer location and patient age; many patients, particularly older patients, have few or no symptoms. Pain is most common, often localized to the epigastrium and relieved by food or antacids.
There are two types of stomach ulcer –
Gastric ulcer symptoms rarely follow a consistent pattern (e.g., eating sometimes worsens rather than the relieves pain) and are often associated with symptoms of blockage (e.g., bloating, nausea, vomiting) caused by swelling and scarring.
Duodenal ulcers tend to cause more consistent pain. Pain is absent when the patient awakens but appears mid-morning and is relieved by food but recurs 2 to 3 hours after a meal. Pain that awakens a patient at night is common and suggests duodenal ulcer. In infants, perforation and bleeding may indicate duodenal ulcer.
7 Symptoms of Stomach ulcer.
- Dull, gnawing pain.
- Burning sensation in the mid-epigastrium or in the back.
- Pain that is usually relieved by eating because food neutralizes the acid or by taking alkali.
- Heart burn (Pyrosis). This is a burning sensation in the oesophagus and stomach that moves up to the mouth occasionally with sour eructation. Common when the stomach is empty.
- Constipation or diarrhoea can occur, probably because of diet and medications.
- 25% of victims with gastric ulcers experience bleeding which comes out with the stool as tarry stools.
What causes Stomach Ulcer?
There are different causes of stomach ulcers, ranging from lifestyle, stress, drugs, infections etc.
8 Causes of Stomach Ulcer
- Scientists currently believe that the leading cause of ulcer disease is an infection of the stomach by bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H. Pylori). These are very common, infecting more than a billion people worldwide. Infection usually lingers for many years, leading to ulcer disease in 10% to 15% of those infected. Most with gastric and duodenal ulcers.
2. Persistent use of anti-inflammatory medications (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), including aspirin.
3. Cigarette smoking is also an important cause of ulcer formation and treatment failure.
4. Drinking alcohol for a long time may cause ulcer.
5. Stress ulcers may occur more in people who are tense and cause production of excess stomach acid. Helicobacter pylori flourishes in an acidic environment.
6. The ingestion of milk, caffeinated beverages and alcohol may also increase hydrochloric acid secretion.
7. Blood group: Some scientists noted that people with blood type O are more susceptible to peptic ulcers than those with blood type A, B, or AB.
8.Rarely, ulcers are because of excessive amounts of the hormone gastrin produced by tumours (gastrinomas-ZES).
How do I treat Stomach Ulcer?
You can treat Stomach ulcer by
- Taking drugs to kill the H. pylori and reduce production of stomach acid,
- Stop smoking,
- Stop or reduce the quantity of alcohol you take,
- Stop taking drugs that causes stomach ulcer like aspirin
- Take herbal remedies,
- Avoid food that causes stomach ulcer.
3 Medications for Stomach Ulcer.
There are 3 types of drugs that are used to kill the bacteria causing stomach ulcer. These drugs are:
Health care providers routinely combine drugs from two or three different classes because Helicobacter pylori is difficult to eradicate.
The major challenge with this approach is that most people find it difficult to use their drugs regularly. Some people stop outrightly because of unpleasant side effects, which can really be horrible.
When we consider the several side effects of modern medicine, naturopaths recommend indigenous drugs that have fewer side effects as a better alternative to treat peptic ulcer.
14 Effective Natural Remedies For Stomach Ulcer.
Recent studies found that different substances from plant sources not only protect the stomach but also speed up the healing of stomach ulcer.
These plants can be use as a combination or individually.
- Clove is used to treat toothache, respiratory disorders, inflammation, and gastrointestinal disorders. The effectiveness of clove as a remedy for stomach ulcer is the effectiveness of the essential oil and eugenol on its ability to stimulate the synthesis of mucus in the stomach.
2. Sweet potatoes help to protect the from stomach ulcers when taken regularly.
3. Irish Potatoes. Scientists at Manchester University have discovered that potato (commonly called Irish potato in Nigeria) contains unique antibacterial molecules that can treat peptic ulcer. Members of the university’s microbiology team now hope the substance, dubbed ‘potato juice’ could go into production as a daily diet.
4. Aloe vera gel has a long history of use. In a 2011 published in the African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, researchers found that Aloe vera gel showed significant anti-ulcer activity that is comparable to standard drug omeprazole. Aloe vera juice protects the stomach from ulcer caused by drugs.
Take the gel of 4 matured leaves of Aloe Vera, mixed with it water and honey. This remedy can heal stomach ulcer. Dosage is 3 tablespoonful three times daily.
5. Unripe Pawpaw fruits. Cut unripe pawpaw into pieces and soak in water for 5 days. Sieve and add honey to the water. Take a glass (about 200mls) twice daily.
6. Cayenne pepper stops internal and external bleeding ulcer. While some believe that spicy food may cause stomach ulcers, the capsaicin in cayenne peppers may actually help reduce the risk of stomach ulcers.
Capsaicin, the active ingredient in cayenne pepper, can effectively kill harmful bacteria that have infected the stomach lining, including H. pylori. Capsaicin also act as a natural pain reliever. Sprinkle cayenne powder on your food each day.
7. Raw cabbage juice has anti-ulcer and wound healing properties on the stomach. Some people have been healed after drinking half a glass of cabbage juice before meals for 3 weeks.
8. Basil is a popular food seasoning, and has many healing properties. Previous studies reported anesthesia, anti-stress, antidiarrheal, anthelminthic, antiinflammatory, antimutagenic, antipyretic, antiulcerative, gastroprotective, fungicidal, hepatoprotective, and sedative activities. Basil protects against stomach ulcer by reducing gastric acid production in the stomach.
9. Banana neutralizes the excess acidity of gastric juices produced in the by reducing ulcer irritation by coating the lining of the stomach. Bananas relieve painful ulcer systems and other intestinal disorders, and promote healing.
10. Powder of unripe plantain when mixed with honey gives relief to stomach ulcer.
11. Cucumber is good to treat hyper-acidity, gastric and duodenal ulcer. It brings immediate relief whenever there is a burning sensation in the stomach when you eat it.
12. Honey is used traditionally to treat wounds because it provides nutrients and other chemicals that speed wound healing.
14. Avocado pear leaf and seed contains phytochemicals that can prevents the development of stomach. Boil the leaves in water. Allow it to stand for 24 hours, take half a glass twice daily for 2 weeks.
Stomach ulcer can be prevented and treated depending on the cause. You do not have to constantly depend on drugs to treat stomach ulcer. By watching what you eat you can treat it successfully. By adding some remedies in this article, you are bound to find the permanent cure that you desired.
But if your stomach ulcer is due to stress, you may need to learn stress management techniques.
Did I miss out anything? Leave a comment or reply in the comment box.
We provide the medical information provided in this article as an information resource only. This information does not create any patient-physician relationship and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.
Athaydes, B.R., Alves, G.M., Assis, A.L.E.M. de, Gomes, J.V.D., Rodrigues, R.P., Campagnaro, B.P., Nogueira, B.V., Silveira, D., Kuster, R.M., Pereira, T.M.C., Kitagawa, R.R. and Gonçalves, R. de C.R. (2019). Avocado seeds (Persea americana Mill.) prevents indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in mice. Food Research International, [online] 119(10.1016/j.foodres.2018.10.057), pp.751–760. doi:10.1016/j.foodres.2018.10.057.
Borra, S.K. (2011). Anti-ulcer Effect of Aloe Vera in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory Drug Induced Peptic Ulcers in Rats. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 5(16). doi:10.5897/ajpp11.306.
Panda, V. and Sonkamble, M. (2012). Anti-ulcer Activity of Ipomoea Batatas Tubers (sweet potato). Functional Foods in Health and Disease, 2(3), p.48. doi:10.31989/ffhd.v2i3.99.
Santin, J.R., Lemos, M., Klein-Júnior, L.C., Machado, I.D., Costa, P., de Oliveira, A.P., Tilia, C., de Souza, J.P., de Sousa, J.P.B., Bastos, J.K. and de Andrade, S.F. (2010). Gastroprotective activity of essential oil of the Syzygium aromaticum and its major component eugenol in different animal models. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Archives of Pharmacology, 383(2), pp.149–158. doi:10.1007/s00210-010-0582-x.
Subramanian, S. (2007). Evaluation of Anti-ulcerogenic Potential of Aloe Vera Leaf Gel Extract Studied in Experimental Rats. [online] Science Alert. Available at: https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=jpt.2007.85.97.
Vakil, N. (2021). Peptic Ulcer Disease – Gastrointestinal Disorders. [online] MSD Manual Professional Edition. Available at: https://www.msdmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/gastritis-and-peptic-ulcer-disease/peptic-ulcer-disease?query=stomach%20ulcer [Accessed 10 Jul. 2022].